CIRES IT Server Manager
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado, Boulder, has an immediate opening for a professional research assistant with experience in information technology services in support of environmental research. The purpose of the position is to provide collaborative support for research as part of the IT team and share responsibilities for managing the IT infrastructure for research and research administration in CIRES.
CIRES seeks candidates who are qualified to work in collaboration with research teams led by professors and other principal investigators (research scientists), and to share with the IT team strong responsibility for maintaining CIRES servers used by all researchers.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology or related field
- Experience in systems administration and security
- Experience in Virtualized Environments supportive of research (VMware)
- Experience in configuring and securing Windows and Linux servers
- Experience with PERL, Python, Apache, MySQL in regard to research system management
- Familiarity with BASH, CSH and common Linux Shells
- Understanding of Networking (LAN/WAN/VPN/IPv4/IPv6)
- Ability to work in a research team environment
- Skilled in trouble-shooting and debugging, including specialized research software
- Demonstrated ability to serve and support researchers or research teams
After hours availability for unforeseen crisis mitigation
Desirable areas of experience include:
- Familiarity with PC, Mac, and Linux software and hardware
- Skill in securing remote access to the network
- Ability to program and debug PHP code
- Ability to write and optimize MySQL Queries
Special Instructions to Applicants: The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions: Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 – Cover Letter; 2 – Resume; 3 – The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; 4 –One letter of recommendation This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.