Eleanor C. Browne
My group is primarily interested in developing instrumentation for measuring gases and aerosols in the atmosphere and in using this instrumentation to investigate how atmospheric processing affects the chemical composition of gases and aerosols. The group is specifically interested in organonitrogen and organosilicon compounds and investigates the fate of these compounds using laboratory and field measurements. Current work focuses on understanding the role of organonitrogen in new particle formation and growth, and in nitrogen deposition. The organosilicon work focuses on constraining the fate of organosilicon compounds that are found in personal care products and preferentially partition to the atmosphere.
New Particle Formation and Growth
In August and September 2016, the group participated in the Holistic Interactions of Shallow Clouds, Aerosols, and Land-Ecosystems (HI-SCALE) campaign at the DOE Southern Great Plains Research facility in Oklahoma. During this campaign, we measured the chemical composition of ambient ions in the atmosphere using atmospheric pressure interface high-resolution mass spectrometry. This technique allows us to directly probe the chemical composition of naturally charged molecules and clusters that represent the initial steps of new particle formation and growth. Additionally, many organonitrogen species have higher proton affinities than water, and consequently, when present, organonitrogen species can be observed as positive ions. Thus, these measurements provide us with insight into the composition of organonitrogen in the atmosphere.
In the summer and fall of 2016, the group deployed a high-volume filter sampler to Niwot Ridge, Colorado to collect aerosols. We are currently analyzing these filter samples using protonated ethanol cluster chemical ionization mass spectrometry (EtOH-CIMS) to measure the composition of organonitrogen species present in the aerosol. Although organonitrogen is recognized to be an important contributor to nitrogen deposition, little is known about its chemical composition. This work is demonstrating a new application of EtOH-CIMS to simultaneously measure a wide array of organonitrogen compounds. The measurements will show how the composition of organonitrogen varies across the seasonal transition, and will aid in improving our knowledge of the role that organonitrogen plays in nitrogen transport and deposition.
Honors and Awards
- NOAA Climate and Global Change Postdoctoral Fellowship (2012-2014)
- NASA Earth Systems Science Fellowship (2010-2012)
- Pusede, SE, TC VandenBoer, JG Murphy, MZ Markovic, CJ Young, PR Veres, JM Roberts, RA Washenfelder, SS Brown, XR Ren, C Tsai, J Stutz, WH Brune, EC Browne, PJ Wooldridge, AR Graham, R Weber, AH Goldstein, S Dusanter, SM Griffith, PS Stevens, BL Lefer and RC Cohen (2015), An Atmospheric Constraint on the NO2 Dependence of Daytime Near-Surface Nitrous Acid (HONO). Environ. Sci. Technol. Version: 1 49 (21) 12774-12781, issn: 0013-936X, ids: CV6BI, doi: 10.1021/acs.est.5b02511, PubMed ID: 26436410
- Canagaratna, MR, P Massoli, EC Browne, JP Franklin, KR Wilson, TB Onasch, TW Kirchstetter, EC Fortner, CE Kolb, JT Jayne, JH Kroll and DR Worsnop (2015), Chemical Compositions of Black Carbon Particle Cores and Coatings via Soot Particle Aerosol Mass Spectrometry with Photoionization and Electron Ionization. J. Phys. Chem. A Version: 1 119 (19) 4589-4599, issn: 1089-5639, ids: CI6YV, doi: 10.1021/jp510711u, PubMed ID: 25526741
- Browne, EC, JP Franklin, MR Canagaratna, P Massoli, TW Kirchstetter, DR Worsnop, KR Wilson and JH Kroll (2015), Changes to the Chemical Composition of Soot from Heterogeneous Oxidation Reactions. J. Phys. Chem. A Version: 1 119 (7) 1154-1163, issn: 1089-5639, ids: CB9HI, doi: 10.1021/jp511507d, PubMed ID: 25654760
- Browne, EC, PJ Wooldridge, KE Min and RC Cohen (2014), On the role of monoterpene chemistry in the remote continental boundary layer. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Version: 1 14 (3) 1225-1238, issn: 1680-7316, ids: AC2ZN, doi: 10.5194/acp-14-1225-2014
- Pusede, SE, DR Gentner, PJ Wooldridge, EC Browne, AW Rollins, KE Min, AR Russell, J Thomas, L Zhang, WH Brune, SB Henry, JP DiGangi, FN Keutsch, SA Harrold, JA Thornton, MR Beaver, JM St Clair, PO Wennberg, J Sanders, X Ren, TC VandenBoer, MZ Markovic, A Guha, R Weber, AH Goldstein and RC Cohen (2014), On the temperature dependence of organic reactivity, nitrogen oxides, ozone production, and the impact of emission controls in San Joaquin Valley, California. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Version: 1 14 (7) 3373-3395, issn: 1680-7316, ids: AF3JO, doi: 10.5194/acp-14-3373-2014
- Min, KE, SE Pusede, EC Browne, BW LaFranchi, PJ Wooldridge and RC Cohen (2014), Eddy covariance fluxes and vertical concentration gradient measurements of NO and NO2 over a ponderosa pine ecosystem: observational evidence for within-canopy chemical removal of NOx. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Version: 1 14 (11) 5495-5512, issn: 1680-7316, ids: AJ6KO, doi: 10.5194/acp-14-5495-2014
- VandenBoer, TC, MZ Markovic, JE Sanders, X Ren, SE Pusede, EC Browne, RC Cohen, L Zhang, J Thomas, WH Brune and JG Murphy (2014), Evidence for a nitrous acid (HONO) reservoir at the ground surface in Bakersfield, CA, during CalNex 2010. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. Version: 1 119 (14) 9093-9106, issn: 2169-897X, ids: AN2GQ, doi: 10.1002/2013JD020971
- Browne, EC, KE Min, PJ Wooldridge, E Apel, DR Blake, WH Brune, CA Cantrell, MJ Cubison, GS Diskin, JL Jimenez, AJ Weinheimer, PO Wennberg, A Wisthaler and RC Cohen (2013), Observations of total RONO2 over the boreal forest: NOx sinks and HNO3 sources. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Version: 1 13 (9) 4543-4562, issn: 1680-7316, ids: 144LR, doi: 10.5194/acp-13-4543-2013
- Worton, DR, JD Surratt, BW LaFranchi, AWH Chan, YL Zhao, RJ Weber, JH Park, JB Gilman, J de Gouw, C Park, G Schade, M Beaver, JM St Clair, J Crounse, P Wennberg, GM Wolfe, S Harrold, JA Thornton, DK Farmer, KS Docherty, MJ Cubison, JL Jimenez, AA Frossard, LM Russell, K Kristensen, M Glasius, JQ Mao, XR Ren, W Brune, EC Browne, SE Pusede, RC Cohen, JH Seinfeld and AH Goldsteint (2013), Observational Insights into Aerosol Formation from Isoprene. Environ. Sci. Technol. Version: 1 47 (20) 11403-11413, issn: 0013-936X, ids: 240UQ, doi: 10.1021/es4011064, PubMed ID: 24004194
- Wolfe, GM, JA Thornton, NC Bouvier-Brown, AH Goldstein, JH Park, M Mckay, DM Matross, J Mao, WH Brune, BW LaFranchi, EC Browne, KE Min, PJ Wooldridge, RC Cohen, JD Crounse, IC Faloona, JB Gilman, WC Kuster, JA de Gouw, A Huisman and FN Keutsch (2011), The Chemistry of Atmosphere-Forest Exchange (CAFE) Model - Part 2: Application to BEARPEX-2007 observations. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Version: 1 11 (3) 1269-1294, issn: 1680-7316, ids: 721KW, doi: 10.5194/acp-11-1269-2011
- Browne, EC, AE Perring, PJ Wooldridge, E Apel, SR Hall, LG Huey, J Mao, KM Spencer, JM St Clair, AJ Weinheimer, A Wisthaler and RC Cohen (2011), Global and regional effects of the photochemistry of CH3O2NO2: evidence from ARCTAS. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Version: 1 11 (9) 4209-4219, issn: 1680-7316, ids: 764GT, doi: 10.5194/acp-11-4209-2011
- Russell, AR, AE Perring, LC Valin, EJ Bucsela, EC Browne, KE Min, PJ Wooldridge and RC Cohen (2011), A high spatial resolution retrieval of NO2 column densities from OMI: method and evaluation. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Version: 1 11 (16) 8543-8554, issn: 1680-7316, ids: 813YL, doi: 10.5194/acp-11-8543-2011
- LaFranchi, BW, GM Wolfe, JA Thornton, SA Harrold, EC Browne, KE Min, PJ Wooldridge, JB Gilman, WC Kuster, PD Goldan, JA de Gouw, M Mckay, AH Goldstein, X Ren, J Mao and RC Cohen (2009), Closing the peroxy acetyl nitrate budget: observations of acyl peroxy nitrates (PAN, PPN, and MPAN) during BEARPEX 2007. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Version: 1 9 (19) 7623-7641, issn: 1680-7316, ids: 506MT